Thursday, September 27, 2018

I Do Not Like Kombucha

Inspirational song: Life to Fix (The Record Company)

My house smells like kombucha. I spent all day since my doctor appointment this morning cleaning house for company tonight, getting everything including the scent profile to be just right. While my sink was full of dishes and later mop water, I had to put off taking care of the plum wine that had been sitting in a primary fermenter in my kitchen. I needed the sink to sterilize all the containers and tools to rack the wine into smaller secondary fermenters. Once my friends left, I was able to tend to the bucketful of stinky plums.

It took two of us to get the siphon to flow properly and the tubing to stay in the jars while they filled. On my way back from the doc, I had stopped and bought two glass jars and air locks, and we quickly learned that I should have gotten three. We ad libbed and washed out a growler from 300 Suns and got another half gallon set up. Unfortunately the old air lock we had from a big glass carboy was about an eighth of an inch too big, so again, I had to improvise. Press and Seal and a giant hair tie for the win! (If this wine ends up even vaguely drinkable, the little growler will be for the guys, since it previously held beer. There may not be even the smallest molecule of gluten left, but I’ll take no chances.) The liquid itself is cloudy and pulpy. I wonder how long it will take to settle. My guess is “months.”

I have no idea whether I was careful enough with temperature, oxygen, sanitation, or ingredients. I’ve never tried to make wine before. Maybe it is supposed to stink this much. It is fermented fruit after all. I am not a fan of kombucha, which this resembles strongly. I tried two or three times to choke it down, and that was enough for a lifetime. To have my kitchen reek of it is not my idea of a good time, especially after putting so much effort into making the house smell of Lysol, Simple Green, “Autumn Gatherings” wax melts, and a “Flannel” candle. From that to sour plums. Ugh.




No comments:

Post a Comment