Monday, September 24, 2018

Lost

Inspirational song: Heaven Must Be Missing an Angel (Tavares)

This has been an awful, long week. I keep getting reminded that it’s Monday. Don’t care. It’s a bad week already. I hit my limit, and I need a mental health break. I’m super sensitive to sounds, especially percussive ones, and my nerves are jangling. Let it go, let it go,

I’m back to working out the kinks for the cosplay coat that I’m designing. It’s for my young friend’s comic he has just completed, Lost Heaven. The Kickstarter for it ended today, with the publishing expenses fully funded. My kid has been invited to its premiere to be a live model for the lead character. This is why I was cutting out muslin yesterday, to make a mock-up coat, so I can adjust the sizing before cutting the good fabric. There is a lot to adjust.

It’s also why we made a customized dressmaker’s mannequin a few weeks ago. I learned something important about that, by the way. I didn’t have enough polyfil batting inside of it at first. It seemed way bigger than my daughter, even though we made it form fitting with tight duct tape wrapped around her body. I bought a giant bag of polyfil this afternoon and packed it in tightly. The more full it got, the narrower it got. It seemed counterintuitive until I realized that it was also getting taller. Lesson learned, don’t scrimp on the stuffing.

With the dress form too squishy, I cut the initial pattern too wide. It looked dumpy and wrong. Once my daughter came over and we fixed the form, then we fixed the mock-up. Well, mostly fixed it. It has a long way to go yet. It’s closer, though. Maybe if I’m lucky by tomorrow I’ll be fitting in sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment