Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Sisyphus

Inspirational song: No Scrubs (TLC)

I've been trying to convince myself to pull everything out of the jungle by my front window, to perform a long-overdue deep cleaning. Between the natural life cycles of the collection of plants and the artificial shortening of the leaves attached thereto by way of cats chewing and barfing, it was a mess. I noticed it every time I sat in the living room, but rarely had the time or energy to do more than sigh heavily and wish for a fairy godmother who owns a cleaning service. I was finally fed up with it enough to apply myself. It involved a lot of furniture moving, vacuuming, leaf trimming, rearranging, and of course, scrubbing residue of cat vomit off of the floor, only after it was illuminated under black light so I could find out where it was. These are the least glamorous days of my life. And for all of the hours I put into this (because for one I'm slow, and for two I need a lot of breaks or I will not survive the mission), it was disheartening to realize that I only cleared out a five by ten foot area, give or take, and I still have to sort the accumulated paper debris from the piano and the side table before the living room can remotely be considered "done."

I'm fairly certain my nose is burned from sniffing Mr Clean fumes. My shoulders are tired. I probably filled up all of the remaining space in the compost container outside from all of the dead leaves I sent to it. But as long as I only look in that one space, behind the hundred-year-old school bench, I can enjoy my accomplishment for the day.

I was still so tired I could barely think at game night tonight. More's the pity, because this is my favorite character, the foul-mouthed, bad-tempered gnome who weighs less than a big bag of dog food. Tonight she got punched (not by the person who she wanted to punch her, to test whether an artifact would protect her from damage), and poisoned (by the person she wanted to throw the punch, who ended up poisoning the group instead). And I had too few spoons left to play her correctly. She should have exacted revenge. Instead, she just glared weakly and vowed to remember this night. I'm not so sure she or I will. It was just too exhausting to keep cleaning up the same spaces after the same bad cat behaviors. There was no room left for good game play.


No comments:

Post a Comment