Sunday, January 13, 2019

ATK Cinnamon Challenge (Not the One You're Thinking)

Inspirational song: Sara (Fleetwood Mac)

There's a new recipe for the cookbook that my daughter begged me to write, if it were ever to be fully tested and ready. I had a powerful craving for cinnamon rolls, to take over to the neighbor's for football time. I had created a terrific grain-free recipe more than a year ago, and went looking for it. In the notebook where I was consolidating ideas when it seemed more likely that I'd actually produce the cookbook, there was no sign of it. In fact, there were only ten or so in there at all. (I have an addiction to spiral notebooks, so it will take a while to rifle through the collection, looking for the rest of the recipes.) In this situation, I did what everyone does, and went to Pinterest for suggestions. The second one I looked at seemed promising, but it called for prepared vanilla pudding. I didn't have any, and wasn't about to go out to buy it. It didn't take long to think of a substitute. I had sour cream.

I didn't want to make too much for just three people, so immediately I halved the recipe I found. Then, I only had half of the gluten-free all purpose flour I needed, so I filled it out with equal portions of potato and tapioca starch, and made up the rest with the last eighth cup of chickpea flour in a bag. I heated a little milk and bloomed quick-rise yeast in it. I whisked together some melted butter and an egg. I stirred sugar and vanilla into sour cream until it was smooth. Throw in a wee bit of salt and xanthan gum, and I was set. I folded everything together gently; no electric mixer used this time. The batter was really wet and sticky. I decided I had no interest in fighting it to make rolls. I just dumped spoonfuls into a small parchment-lined pan, alternating it with cinnamon and brown sugar. I threw on some pecans for good measure, and let it rise. I took it next door to bake, while we watched the early game. 350 degrees for 25 minutes, and it was crazy good. It was coffeecake.

Next time, I'll make a full recipe instead of a half. And when I mix the brown sugar and cinnamon, I'll moisten it with a little butter. There was too much of it for the amount of dough I made, and it was a little dry on top. The bread, however, was amazing. I'll retest it soon, and if it checks out a second time, I'll turn the recipe loose on the world. It was better than any Sara Lee I ever had, and once upon a time, that was my dream food. Sara Lee has nothing on this.



No comments:

Post a Comment