Wednesday, January 9, 2019

One Final Volley

Inspirational song: Don't Eat the Yellow Snow (Frank Zappa)

The snow ball story has concluded for one more year. At least, for the most part we will stop talking about it, but there is an excellent chance that the occasional snide remark will slip in, followed by grumbling, obscene gestures, and biologically impossible commands. For the final chapter this time around, I went forward with my previously discussed idea of making "SnoBalls." They weren't perfect. It was based on a cake recipe I had never tried before, one that a friend's mom made around Christmastime, and posted a link online to instructions. (Side note, the instructions were written for a European audience, where they were used to measuring ingredients in grams and have easy access to caster sugar. I bought plain white sugar that I ground finer in a food processor, and I guessed at my proportions for grams-to-cups. Four ingredients: potato starch, caster sugar, lemon juice & zest, and eggs, whipped separately.)

I made the potato starch cake and baked individual rounds in a small donut pan. I bought Kroger brand marshmallow fluff, to make the process go faster. I covered each one in marshmallow, and then coated them in coconut. Mr S-P started singing the above-mentioned Frank Zappa song, so I asked him whether he wanted me to dye the coconut yellow. He said why not, so I did. I blended it with white, for fun.

We took the snow balls to D&D tonight, keeping them completely concealed from view of our neighbor, who rode with us to Boulder. Once revealed, everyone at one, but T made sure he expressed his chagrin at the choice of snack. (See photo.) I mean, gosh, T, I know the cake part was a little dry, but that seems extreme. (We all laughed.)





No comments:

Post a Comment