Friday, January 25, 2019

West of the Pecos

Inspirational song: Like a Rolling Stone (Bob Dylan)

We moved away from New Mexico in 2011, and once I drove away, I haven’t been back since. Mr S-P has come through to check on our house a few times, making repairs in between tenants, but I hadn’t come up with a reason to roll through, until now. We came down to attend a graduation for our nephew. This is a quick down and back trip, but it is long enough to stir up memories for me. I’m rather enjoying that.

When we lived in the far eastern part of the state, I drove up to Boulder roughly once a quarter while our daughter was in college. I became exceptionally familiar with every mile of the highway between the two locations. This afternoon kind of threw me, realizing it has been nearly eight years since I made that road trip. How on earth did time pass so quickly?

We didn’t go to Clovis on this trip, and probably won’t, even if driving past the rental house would mean that we could write off the expenses on next year’s taxes. Putting that many miles on my car and on our mature bodies doesn’t sound appealing. Instead, we came straight to our hotel in the Q, and after breakfast with an old friend, we are going to go straight home.

I traveled light, with just my iPad to write on. I can’t post pictures from this device, and I didn’t take many until tonight’s graduation dinner party anyway. I’ll cover the dinner tomorrow when I’m back, and I’ll see about taking highway pics on the way home for later. I was behind the wheel for the first half of the drive down, and when I moved to the right seat, I was more interested in re-learning how to use the sock loom I bought a month ago, and resting my cramped arms. If the trip home is less of a rush, maybe we’ll stop once or twice, where it’s pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment