Friday, January 11, 2019

Vegetable

Inspirational song: Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd)

For the third time this week, I needed a baclofen to make it through the evening. I don't beat myself up about them. It's just a part of my life and I'm used to it. But unfortunately, I took it more than an hour ago, and if I wait until the normal late hour when I usually write this post, I'll be completely unconscious. I have to write early, but I also have to write from a loopy brain. I'm not sure anyone will be able to tell the difference between this and a post-midnight essay.

I'm getting very frustrated with Anschutz. I called them Wednesday afternoon following my neurologist telling me flatly that he doesn't treat what they diagnosed. I ended up with a nurse's voice mail, and I left my name and number, expecting a return call within 24 hours, as the message announced. I called again today, spoke to someone at the general neurology number (after a 20 minute wait in the queue), told her I never got a call back, and gave her a brief summary of my problem. She put me on hold to verify that there was someone on the other end to receive my call, and she transferred me. Straight to voice mail again, the same one. Still no call back. I get to go another whole weekend without medication, without any sort of treatment. Hence the need for muscle relaxers and going to bed early, if possible.

You know, I hadn't actually taken any consciousness-relaxing drugs when I was making dinner tonight. Yet there I was, wondering whether I was a murderer for cutting up a carrot that looked like a human body. I felt like a Wild West villain, pointing a knife instead of a gun, at a poor defenseless carrot and telling him to dance. He was doing it, and I put him in the Instapot with brown rice anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment