Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Don't Call Him Michael

Inspirational song: Story of My Life (One Direction)

It has been a while since I had to race a muscle relaxer to get my blog out for the night, but it has been one of those days. Besides, I need to get up early AF tomorrow to get to Boulder for the first neurology appointment of the day, so assistance falling asleep will be welcomed.

I'm trying to apply myself to creating a fuller backstory for the new D&D character, for the campaign my foster-son-in-law (I guess that's the best moniker for now) will kick off in one week. I seem to be good at coming up with flaws for this new tough guy, but I haven't figured out how to create advantages. I freely admit I have stolen a fair bit from two characters played by the same actor, Rory McCann. The actor is a handsome Glaswegian, but I'm modeling my barbarian after the less attractive aspects of his Michael Armstrong (Hot Fuzz) and Sandor "The Hound" Clegane (Game of Thrones). I shall be playing a half-orc barbarian who keeps a whole lot of secrets. Everyone who looks at Doch Mishky sees a rough, ugly neanderthal, but inside he is a self-conscious secret scholar who has been persecuted by his pureblood orc older brother Oursin. Doch was the youngest of three children, but unlike the violent beginnings of a stereotypical half-orc, his orc father married a human woman late in life after his first (orc) wife died, and they were very much in love. Oursin hated the changes this relationship brought in his previously fearsome father, and he held it against Doch for the first seventeen years of his life. He told Doch that he was too pretty to be a real member of their clan, and too weak, and he never gave him a break. He said he didn't deserve an orc name, and instead called him "Michael," as if he were a soft human. The cruel nickname sent Doch into a beserker rage every time he heard it, and even on his own in adulthood, he is still sensitive about it. Doch left home after Oursin beat him with a lit torch, catching his clothes on fire and burning his ribs and right arm. His reach is limited on that side where the scars hold his arm tighter to his side, but he was left-handed anyway, so it doesn't affect his fighting arm at all. He loves to read, but is very careful not to let anyone catch him doing it. Most people only see what they want to see, and when they look at him they only see an ugly barbarian. He rarely answers with more than a couple monosyllabic words (usually "Yarp" or "Narp" -- yes or no).

I have rolled Doch's stats, with the four dice, re-roll ones, take top three method, and they came out extremely high for one of my characters (strength 18, dexterity 15, constitution 16, intelligence 15, wisdom 16, charisma 13). We are starting at 5th level, so he has a hefty 56 hit points already. Now I need to make sure I have his barbarian rage powers down, so I can then select three feats out of a confusing list of about 600 possibilities. This is the part I dread the most. I'll see whether the new DM will be available to help me choose this weekend, when the football games are on.

The muscle relaxer is kicking in now. Too bad Rabbit is spooling up as I am spooling down. She wants to tear her fancy bed up at the same time I want to become one with mine.




No comments:

Post a Comment