Saturday, January 5, 2019

Wild Card

Inspirational song: My Favorite Things (Sound of Music)

As someone who watched episode after episode of Good Eats, I was trained not to buy kitchen tools with only one purpose, not ever. I broke the rule. We had to go to three different kitchen sections of stores (grocery, Ace, and Target), and at my local Ace, I found a spaetzle noodle maker. I learned how to make an excellent version of these with cassava flour in place of wheat, but to shape them, I had been sloppily pressing dough through a mandolin cheese grater over the top of boiling water. It worked, sort of. It was messy and carried the risk of skinned knuckles. I don't know when I'll try to make them next, but I'm looking forward to the next attempt. Last Super Bowl I made them into a hearty mac and cheese. At the absolute latest, I'll to that again.

We shopped for hours today, looking for a mouli grater to replace the one we can't find, so that the Mr and T can grind up the five pounds of hazelnuts destined to be in an avant-garde beer. We also looked for a food item in all the big stores, plus two gas stations, and struck out every time. Does Hostess not still make SnoBalls? It's not like I can eat them to know whether they're still around. They don't appear to sell them in this town. Looks like this is where I step in, again. A friend of ours has a group page where she shares all sorts of gluten free and vegan/vegetarian food items. Her mom posted a recipe for a light and fluffy potato starch cake. I can make my own snow balls, and even if the butt of the joke gets mad and throws them at the jokester who plans to taunt him, I'll be safe from flying wheat crumbs.

After a holiday break from intense football weekends, while we were all off doing our own things, we are back to spending long days at T's house. The Chiefs were the number one seed, and had a bye week, but that didn't stop us from paying very close attention to today's games. Tomorrow will be a repeat of today. It's a lot more relaxing over there now that Hops has settled in and decided we are all part of his pack. He cuddles more than he gripes now. Both boys were quite disappointed that neither their papa nor any of their aunties or uncles were interested in dropping food into their face holes. For dogs who never get people food (well, not officially), they sure are expert beggars.



No comments:

Post a Comment