Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Shook

Inspirational song: Da Doo Ron Ron (Shaun Cassidy)

It’s exceedingly rare that I make corrections to previous essays. It’s not that I don’t make mistakes. I make a ton of them—typos, grammatical errors, memory lapses, and just plain getting facts wrong. It takes away the seat-of-the-pants purity of my writing to go back and alter anything after the publication. Occasionally I will have such a grievous error that I have to issue a retraction, but I haven’t done that often either. But I will be damned if I screw up my song for the day and let that stand. And I did it yesterday. Because I remembered incorrectly and claimed the show we have been watching was set in the summer of 1978, I put the number one song for July up. Now that I have been corrected and know that it is set in July 1977, I am now using the proper song. Shouldn’t I have instinctively known this would be the right one? Wasn’t I hopelessly obsessed with Shaun Cassidy in the summer of 1977? I was just sure, with all the fire that burns in a grade school girl’s heart, that I was going to grow up and meet him and he was going to fall instantly in love with me and marry me. I owe it to that failed dream to put up the right song for the theme I was going for.

I’m still a little shaken. In less than a week, we have raced through the whole series of Hunters. It was crazy good. Yes, there were a ton of anachronisms, and we said them out loud when we noticed them. That isn’t proof that the show was flawed; it was proof that we are old and pedantic. This series was fantastic. It was every bit of that old cliche: an emotional roller coaster. It had tons of surprises. Sometimes the mysteries were hard to solve. There’s one character who I really can’t figure out whether they are a good guy or bad guy even at the end of the season (and I am not giving away who that is). At the end, I was just staring open-mouthed at my TV, barely able to squeak out a “wow.”

I got nothing else to write about now. There might have been important stuff I should have gone over today, but this has left me barely able to speak my own name aloud. It was so absorbing. I think I have a picture of Harvey I can throw down at the end here, and I’m going to call this thing complete. Take my recommendation: if you have Amazon Prime, watch Hunters. If you don’t, find a friend who either wants to invite you over for it, or wants to loan you a password. Holy cow.


No comments:

Post a Comment