Saturday, August 10, 2013

Good as Gold

Inspirational song: A Spoonful of Sugar (Mary Poppins)

Where is Mary Poppins when I need her? Today I really could have used someone who could sing prettily and snap her fingers, and my clothes would magically be folded and floors swept. I didn't expect to be up and at 'em early today, after staying up past two this morning, but there I was, already mostly done scrubbing down the guest bathroom by about 8:30 this morning. Before noon I had completely reorganized the pantry and shampooed carpets. I accomplished a lot, but I have had to keep a steady stream of sweet, blonde coffee to power my enthusiasm. I haven't got a chance in hell of sleeping again before dawn.

One of the coolest parts of having a man who travels widely for his employment is getting to decorate my house with goodies from around the world that don't come from a cheap import store. Unfortunately, that means great disappointment when dogs act like dogs, and souvenir rugs have to be washed. Today I was just beginning a drastic tub cleaning of a dark blue and red rug when the vet called with blood results from yesterday. I talked to her a good long while, about the tests that found nothing wrong, leaving the source of the cat's fever a mystery. I allowed myself to be distracted just long enough for the tub soak to turn dark purple. I rinsed and rinsed, and draped the rug over the railing on the deck in the sun. I don't think the gold details in the rug will ever be the same. But it came down to a choice of sight or smell, and I would rather have a dull purple rug that smells good than a bright one that stinks any day.

I made a lot of trips to the trash can today, and on those trips I discovered a few signs of hope outside. Where most of the chrysanthemums are a brown mess, I have one set of them that are doing very well. It's the pot our realtor gave us when we moved in, and they have stayed gorgeous for two years. I also saw that Edmund's rose (under which the baby squirrel was buried) is hanging in where all the other roses up front look like the leaf cutters worked overtime. And I can say for certain that it gets your heart rate up a little when you startle a giant banana spider who is perched two feet away from the fence gate you just slammed. Stay put, little lady. I'm not coming any closer to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment