Tuesday, August 6, 2013

No Pain No Gain

Inspirational song: Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song (B.J. Thomas)

Even with new and improved shoes, which really do have excellent support, my feet are killing me. I didn't imagine that the pain would disappear the moment I left the doctor's office, but I really thought the shoes would help the fatigue. I'm not so sure they didn't increase it. I think I have been trying to be on my feet more, since I have them in proper shoes. Last week I really modified how I did water aerobics. Last night, less so. I overdid it, and tried to do a nearly normal routine, with all the jogging and jumping and feet striking the bottom of the pool. I paid for it today, but it wasn't enough pain to hold me back tonight. I'm either very determined or very stupid. Draw your own conclusions.

We went in to the shelter today. I felt horrible doing it, especially since Athena has been so sweet to me the last couple days, like she thought she was done with the dips forever after we were able to skip it on Friday. It felt like a betrayal to take her. She was resigned in the car, only making a token protest as we drove. There was a very, very long wait at the shelter. For a while, I held her carrier up, so she could watch the birds in the big cage in the waiting area. Eventually a chair opened up, and we sat. When it was obvious it would be at least another ten or fifteen minutes before she was taken back, I pulled her out of the carrier, and she sat curled up under my chin and watched the birds. It was the woman in charge of the foster program who worked with us today, and I felt like I had better communication than before, and she was super attentive to the Ewok's progress. She gave me hope that the next test may come back clean, which means she'll be ready for her surgery, and then I can adopt her for real. We had to wait before we could go home, and the sulfurous smell made the waiting area unpleasant for all those poor people who weren't expecting it.

As usual, by the time we got home, she had totally forgiven me, which astounds me every time. I'm starting to be very concerned about my adult black cat, however. She caught the conjunctivitis in only one eye, and I treated her with the same ophthalmic ointment I had for the kitten. It looks a lot better, but she keeps holding that eye slightly less open than the other. And her sleeping areas have changed. This is my baby who always held herself apart, but it was usually sleeping on the top tier of the cat tower, in the room where I spend most of my time. For the last two weeks, she hasn't been up there. She has been sleeping in my spots, in my usual place on the couch or right next to my pillow on the bed. She went from never spending the night in my room to being curled up next to me all night. This has me totally at a loss. Does she feel threatened by another little female black kitten in the pride (even one who worships her like a role model)? Is her depth perception off from having one eye infected? Is she depressed? Or is she sick in ways I can't see? Both dogs go for their annual on Thursday. I am going to have to ask the doctor how to tell whether my cat is ill, or depressed, and if depressed, how on earth do you treat that? 


No comments:

Post a Comment