Monday, August 19, 2013

My First Miss

Inspirational song: Rainy Days and Mondays (The Carpenters)

I knew it had to happen one day. I let it get to be past midnight in my time zone, without getting my blog out in time. I'm going to concentrate on the fun I had with my kids and not the epic sense of failure from missing my goal. I am working very hard on finding the positive when I can.

We tried an alternate route home from the Georgia mountains this time, and while it may have been fewer miles, it was a significantly longer travel time. The twisty, turny roads through the mountains had a slower speed limit, and it was foggy and rainy. We got behind a lot of trucks and a lot of congested traffic. And when we neared the intersection of two interstates close to home, we stopped on the highway for over half an hour. There were two "incidents" close to each other. One might have been a flatbed truck attempting and failing to turn around through the median to tow out the other, a truck that rolled and landed on its side in the trees. Together they accounted for a long delay, and my dogs spending a third night at camp.

I wanted to find something exciting to entertain my daughters for the last night they are here, but I think we are all just too worn out to do much. We went out for the best fried chicken in town (seriously, Cane's is addictive), and all picked out new nail polish colors so we could come home and do mani-pedis in front of Jane Eyre on television. Maybe tomorrow I can take the time to tell one of the stories I had intended for tonight, before the rain delay.

No comments:

Post a Comment