Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Bob Day

Inspirational song: Little Green Apples (O. C. Smith)

I've heard several of my friends lament how difficult it was to rid their households of that stomach virus that was going around for the last month or so. When one said her family kept passing it between them, I said I had no one here to pass it to. Instead I was juggling it. Now, I am so uncoordinated at times, I can't even juggle scarves (that's how you learn), but this? I had no trouble catching that awful ball, hurtling through the air in my direction. I know traditionally, the day after St Patrick's day is the hangover day, but I swear I didn't touch a drop of alcohol yesterday. And I'm fairly certain I didn't fall belly-first into a stand of machetes, but it feels like it. Naturally, this is the day all the pets become super needy. They're filling the void left by my children, who lost all good sense every time I had a migraine, and ran in and out and in and out and in and out of the house, slamming the door every time. And as I lay on the couch today, my face was exactly at dog face height. No, of course I would rather get up and let you out, instead of lying here with a bellyache, and yes, I love how you breathe right into my nose to make sure I get the point.

I'd like to take a moment to make a pitch on behalf of a family member of mine. Several years ago, one of my cousins decided that he didn't want traditional birthday celebrations or gifts anymore. Now, he spends his birthday baking cookies, in order to give them away as surprise gifts to anyone and everyone he encounters. The first time he did it, he felt so great about it that he decided to recruit his friends and family to do the same thing. He has now designated it "unofficial international Bob day." March 19 is the day to give away cookies. I had grand designs of making gluten free almond shortbread cookies to give away, before the stomach bug made its repeat appearance. Nobody is going to want cookies from my house right now. So allow me to recruit at large for surrogates. Try it. Give someone a surprise on Wednesday. Doesn't matter if you know the person/people or not. Cookies for love and for happiness. Share, my friends, share. It feels wonderful. If you have fun with it, post a picture on the UIBD Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment