Friday, March 28, 2014

Closer

Inspirational song: So Far Away (Carole King)

I made a decision I've been wrestling with for months. I decided that it was time to cut loose the membership at the Y. I hadn't been going regularly since my injury got the better of me last fall, and though I have tried to get myself going out there once in a while since physical therapy started working, I am honestly reluctant to drive almost ten miles each way to walk on a treadmill or lift some weights. A friend asked me today why I didn't join the gym that's right around the corner from my neighborhood. I literally have been driving past this place for years, not realizing what it was. They changed their sign to be only their initials, from what I understand, and I never bothered to look at it and recognize it as an athletic center. I toured it this afternoon, and it seems acceptable. Not a fancy place, but it's close and all their machines seemed to be of a recent vintage. I'd have to give up water aerobics, but I haven't been attending them in months anyway. The one water class they have is of the feeble old lady variety, not intense cardio like I prefer. The guy who gave me my tour jokingly asked whether I wanted a job teaching more energetic water aerobics, and I told him I just might do that. But really, I don't think he believed that a class like that would be a real workout. I kind of want to do it, just to prove a point now. First I have to decide for sure that I am joining the place.

I tried early on not to complain much about being left home alone while my man was off on his adventure. Now, eleven months in, it's really hard to do anything but complain. I need a partner around for the big projects and for the quiet times. I need someone to answer me in English words when I am at home and talkative, instead of the meows, tail wags, or bored indifference I get in response now. I miss having human energy in my house. I'm greatly outnumbered here, and it would be nice just to have someone beside me to play zone defense. With the extension, I really don't know how much longer this is going to go on. But it has definitely stopped being any fun at all.

I spent the late afternoon with the door open and the Pride roaming again, after a couple cold days stuck inside in each other's way. It was warm but overcast today, so despite all the signs of spring, it felt gray and gloomy. I stayed out in fading light to pot a few more of the herbs and vegetables while a light rain tried to fall. I've decided to press ahead with my plans to keep most of my container gardening efforts on the deck this year. As I set a few plants around, the little pops of green and pink and yellow seem to be closing the deck in, making it feel like another room on the house. I don't use the front porch very much anymore, so I'm going to focus more on the side where I'm likely to spend my time. It would be nice to have my man a little closer so he could enjoy it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment