Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Right Place, Right Time

Inspirational song: Dizzy (Tommy Roe)

So last night I threatened to go stand in the dentist's office, and insist they fix me on the spot. Oddly enough, that is very nearly what happened. I tried the telephone one more time (which for me is an effort--I hate the phone). I called at about 2:10 this afternoon. The receptionist said she had just had a cancellation, and could I be there by 2:45 to fill out paperwork? Considering I chose this dentist because the office is literally a ten minute walk from my house, and I walk slowly, then hell, yes, I could be there in half an hour, ready to go. This is a new place for me, and I couldn't have been more pleased with the staff and the dentist himself. I really felt like we spoke the same language. But then I was in a good news/bad news situation. I don't have any observable cavities, and nothing seems out of the ordinary in such a way to cause my facial pain, other than purely mechanical issues. I am getting fitted for a bite guard, to see whether it will allow my jaw to heal from all the stress I'm putting on it, grinding my teeth at all hours of the day and night. I'm seriously considering revisiting a course of orthodonture, since my middle aged teeth no longer resemble the straight, beautiful set my parents paid for when I was a teenager. I've been dreaming of having a mouth that fits together properly again, and I think I have finally convinced the man that no matter how "cute" he thinks my crooked teeth are, living pain free would make me a lot cuter.

The bad news side of not having an obvious dental issue, is now I need to decide how much this dizziness is really bothering me, and ring up the regular doctor to see whether it's a side effect of the onset of pollen season, or something that I really have to address. I had hoped to already have an answer by now.

Wow. Yeah. I am struggling tonight. I spent the entire day living exactly in the moment, doing exactly what I felt I should be doing, and what was right for me. Unfortunately, there is only so much column space I can squeeze out of the rest of my day, like how fortunate I was to find the best physical therapist in the Low Country, or how grumpy I am that we weren't spared the last cold snap as it spread across from west to east. I was enjoying my early spring, and I had to be reminded that no one is immune. The only truly unusual thing that happened today worth repeating is how close my grand-kitten came to setting herself on fire today. Apparently she wandered too close to a candle and in a literal flash, made the kids' apartment smell like singed fur. My younger daughter was in the right place not only to ensure that she came out of the incident surprised but completely unharmed, but also in the right place to see a once in a lifetime (I hope!) event, a cat coming out of a fireball like a sorcerer or Vegas magician. She doesn't even look any worse for the wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment