Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Going With the Flow

Inspirational song: Don't Go Breaking My Heart (Elton John and Kiki Dee)

I need to warn you, I'm winding up to be fully immersed in basketball for a little while. Probably going to be a lot of sports metaphors for the next week or two. The PAC 12 tournament started today, and in a nail-biter, my darling Buffaloes won their first game. Every game is going to be progressively harder from here, I'm sure. This is assuming that they go on beyond tomorrow's game, either in the PAC 12 tourney, or the Big Dance, or both. I have decided that I want to be serious about selecting a bracket this year, and I'm so conflicted. If they get in, at what point do I have to vote against my alma mater in the bracket? It will feel so disloyal when I look at an opponent and say, there's no way we beat them.

I have quoted an episode of the third season of Blackadder here before. Mr Blackadder says to Baldrick, who has done a good deed, "Excellent. You have earned a short holiday. Did you enjoy it?" I felt like that today, like I took a very short, impromptu vacation, that was over before it began. I went to lunch with a friend, the first time I'd let myself go wandering out since I got sick last week. We had a wonderful time, and when we parted, I took off to go to my usual strip mall, to buy some darts to send to my man (who has been getting quite competitive, I understand), and to do a little shopping and pampering of myself. Unfortunately, because traffic was so thick, I took off a different direction, to avoid sitting at a traffic light for three or four cycles going nowhere. I got things a little backwards, and ended up in the far left lane, when I needed a right hand exit to the flyover left highway. I ended up being swept up in traffic to an unfamiliar part of town--no, to be accurate, to an altogether unfamiliar city in its own right. I almost never go up there. In fact, the only time I have ever been there, I think, is when I collected the bonfire leader's cat from his attitude adjustment surgery. I opened up my nav screen, and followed the arterial roads in the general direction of the city where I needed to be. It took me about twenty minutes, as I wound through older, established neighborhoods, newer golf course neighborhoods, and a rough looking section where run down houses appeared to have been condemned so the road could be widened. The whole drive felt like I was in a different state entirely. I must have needed a change of scenery, because it was surprisingly refreshing. My brain feels like I had a little vacation, but for this one, I didn't have to kennel the dogs. 

I shopped for a few gifts from home to send my darts-champ man, and while I waited for him to get home from playing, to tell me whether I had collected everything he needed and wanted, I caved in and got that mani-pedi that I was mooning over yesterday. Now I'm all relaxed, oiled, and polished, and I have my man on my mind. It's turning into one of those nights that are so hard, when I just wish I had him around to show off my smooth, soft skin and cute purple nails. This living without direct human contact nonsense gets old fast.

I promised a reader I would go off and take pictures this evening, and instead I got sidetracked with cleaning house. I did see something so horrifying this afternoon, that I needed photographic evidence so you could all share in my revulsion. While I was at Target, I saw something truly evil: crop tops. We all need to band together, and reject this affront. I lived through the 90s. I know no good can come from seeing that much midriff, especially now that obesity rates have shot up that much more in the last twenty years. Don't let them make this a trend. No crop tops. Fight the power!

No comments:

Post a Comment