Saturday, March 22, 2014

It's On

Inspirational song: Get the Party Started (Pink)

I honestly thought I had nothing to do all day today except yardwork and basketball. I'm glad I was within range of my phone when the calendar alarm sounded. I was expected at a birthday party for a sweet little leprechaun today, and I had to rush to get ready. I say that only half jokingly. The birthday boy turned one on St Patrick's day, and he was wearing the cutest little shamrock clothes. They complemented his strawberry blond hair quite well. It has been a very long time since I was around that many very small children. It was quite overwhelming. But it was a good time, and the kids were as cute as can be. I have to say that my friends must also be the best kind of pet parents, because their dog was as patient and kind as any animal has ever been around so many children. He even sat and made happy faces when one little girl put toy handcuffs on his wrists. He just waited, still, until his daddy removed them. The dog's reward came later, when everyone was busy taking pictures of the birthday boy smashing his own personal birthday cake all over his high chair (and he was then whisked away for a quick bath and fresh shamrock clothes). The dog helped himself to all the cake and frosting within reach. I imagine both he and the baby are in sugar comas now. 

When I left, I intended to go straight home to rest, but I remembered en route that I had an errand to run, and I didn't want to have to go out twice. That errand happened to take me past a garden center, and I stopped there on the way home too. I couldn't help it. I've been waiting, biding my time by walking past the same existing bushes over and over. But no more. It's on. I got a handful (or rather a compact carful) of flowers that are blooming now, and a big, soggy bag of potting mix. I dug deep inside me, and found just enough of an energy reserve to get them all in pots before sundown, or in the ground (no pictures of those last two; it was dark then). Having just a few flowers changes the whole vibe of the deck. Instantly it has gone from gloomy late winter to colorful spring. I need the weather to hold out so I can thoroughly enjoy it. But of course another shot of cold air is coming through this week. 

Every time I go outside, I glance over the giant mound of knockout roses, looking to see how soon it will be in bloom. Today, I found the first four buds starting to form. One looks like it's just a few days away from opening. Soon, a few weeks from now, I will have hundreds of pink knockouts. The party has started.

No comments:

Post a Comment