Monday, March 24, 2014

Small Art

Inspirational song: Vincent (Starry, Starry Night) (Don McLean)

There is an entertainment industry that has sprung up in the last several years that I don't recall existing when I was a younger woman. There are different names for these venues, but I'm fairly certain there is some level of franchising and licensing at work here. These are the shops where people (mostly women, I suspect) gather to drink wine and all paint the same painting. The first time we did this as a group, I wasn't impressed. I didn't like the painting I did that first time, and it kind of left a sour taste in my mouth. I felt like it was an art mill, and that not even old Magic Bill Anderson was this uninspiring. But the opportunity came around again, and I let myself get excited about going again. I'm glad I let go of the trepidation, because tonight was a far better experience. Maybe it was the choice of painting, a simplified Van Gogh interpretation of a local landmark. Maybe it was the combination of people, most of whom I know better now than I did a couple years ago when we went. Maybe it was because I brought a handful of my own brushes, and set my wine bottle right next to my easel for easier refills. Tonight was a blast and I am much happier with my painting. It's still not elaborate or finely wrought. You only get about two hours to work on it. Nonetheless, I'm going to leave this one visible. Not sure where I will display it on a permanent basis, but I'm not hiding in in a corner like the last one.

I have to be honest. I had a lot of wine, and I'm a bit worn out. I'm going to accept the fatigue, and much like tonight's painting, I'm going to be happy with the simplified art and stop here. It's a lesson to learn, that sometimes less really is more.


No comments:

Post a Comment