Thursday, September 24, 2015

Anne's Hierarchy of Needs

Inspirational song: Instant Karma (John Lennon)

It took me years to decide whether to make the leap into real estate, but once I committed to it in my heart, I believed I was on the right path. The more of these classes I attend, and the more I spend time with our instructor, the more I am becoming certain of that. Tonight, I got the best reinforcement I possibly could at this point. The instructor said a few simple words, "I think you have the right temperament for this." I've had several people say similar things, but it felt really good to hear the same thing from a man who has so many years of experience in managing, training, and recruiting agents. I think he's right too, and that's not me being immodest. I've had a lot of jobs that skirted the edge of counseling (or were actually called that), and all of that will come in handy in this new career field. I like doing it, and I'm good at it. Those jobs were leading up to this, I have to believe.

We spent the evening talking about the different brokerages in the area, and compared their business models. Most of them were about what I expected, a few better, a few worse. I paid extra close attention when he spoke of the nationally-known brokerage where I long thought I would end up. They are still a good option for me, but I'm starting to see that they aren't my only one. Might not necessarily be my best one either. I have to evaluate what my goals are, and decide what fits my needs. The instructor runs his own mom & pop type brokerage, and his business model is very compelling. His compensation plan is good, to be sure, but he offers something I've never seen before. To be part of his company, agents are required to give back to the community, in a tangible way. Part of the money the brokerage collects goes to covering the costs of volunteering, and all the agents have to put in a minimum number of volunteer hours per year. This is a fantastic way of doing business. I'm not in this to get rich. I'm looking for a career that makes me feel like I matter.

The instructor's business is located in the same town where I'm traveling to go to school, so going to work for him would present a logistical problem. I'd be in the car an awful lot. But to be a real estate agent, that is what I would be doing regardless, so does it matter really where my desk is located? At the beginning of class last week, he encouraged all of us to come interview for his company, if we so chose. Tonight, he repeated that invitation. Once I have taken the test, and passed it, I may just take him up on his offer of an interview. I can't imagine a brokerage that fits my life goals more than his. Wouldn't it be great if he thought I was the right fit for his business too?

No comments:

Post a Comment