Thursday, September 3, 2015

Getting It Done

Inspirational song: Work Song (Cinderelly, Cinderelly) (Cinderella)

It's the eleventh hour. I have a few minutes worth of work to finish the costume, and a few hours before the event kicks off. We set our priorities for what we hope to accomplish before the deadline, and what no longer seems important. The coat is nearly done. I only plan to hem the cuffs before bed, and tomorrow I only need to iron and remove the cat hair from it. I will take lots of photos of her in the full getup, so that I can show off my work. It definitely went better today than yesterday. Fewer mistakes, more successes, and an absolute miracle. The last time I had access to a machine with an automatic buttonhole stitch, it was my grandmother's, the grandmother who died in 1980 (I think). Since then, I had to make buttonholes manually for about 30 years, until I gave away that basic model Bernina when my daughter was in college. Tonight, after digging through the garage to find the box with the sewing supplies where the specialty foot was hidden, I got to sew my first buttonhole with one push of a button. I very nearly cried when I realized how easy it was.

I picked up my foster daughter from the airport this morning. I don't get to see her very often, and I was excited when I found out she would be here this weekend. She's here to go to the same event as my daughter, who was her best friend in high school. She has come a long way since she came to live with us during their senior year. She has a marketable degree, and a good technical job. But she's living in a small town with limited growth potential, and the bug has been planted in her ear to start looking for prospects in the big city. Can't say that she's ready to move here right now, but if the right job comes along, she has a support system in place to join us. Didn't I say we were working hard for Colorado's economic development? We don't even get paid a commission for this nonsense.

CU's football season kicked off late tonight, at eleven o'clock local time. I'm thinking these young men are still working on Mountain time. They appear sleepy and accident prone. Special teams are making the biggest errors. I'm not sure I have the stomach to stay awake until two in the morning to watch this disaster-prone squad. There was talk of a seven-win season, and how they were going to make it to a bowl game this year. Hey, Buffs, how about we work on winning A game first? Or even more importantly, winning a single conference game? Let's just not get ahead of ourselves, and manage expectations a little more realistically. To be fair, as I started writing, they managed to score their first touchdown of the season. We shall see whether they can make this thing work after all.



No comments:

Post a Comment