Friday, September 4, 2015

The Gaara Reveal

Inspirational song: The Crow (Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers)

I'm feeling rather smug tonight. I had a late dinner with a newly created recipe that I will write up in a future ATK post, and while I ate I got feedback from my daughter about how many compliments she has received for her Gaara cosplay outfit. A few conventioneers have even asked her whether I would do commissions. (The answer: probably, depends on what, and I'm not cheap.) Not kidding, I'm even feeling smug about the kid herself. I posted one of my pictures of her to Twitter, and all I could think of to caption the photo was "I made that."

There were just a few things left to wrap up this morning. I had to put decorative stitching on the cuffs and collar, and sew on a couple buttons to attach the hood. Then I wrestled the whole, heavy thing for a half an hour to iron it (Jacob had an easier time with his angels), and I went over it twice with the lint roller here, and once again when she had it on. You would think we live with a bunch of cats.

The kids were all in their outfits when I arrived, and my daughter's boyfriend was preparing to put the "tattoo" on her forehead. He made the basic outline of it well enough, but he happily turned the pen over when I volunteered to go over it and darken it. I've seen dozens of images of Gaara over the years, in action figures, plushies, and posters, but I've never actually seen the manga or anime or whatever it is that he is the central figure of. I was assured by all the kids that absolutely everyone would recognize her character. Several could be expected to feel nostalgic when they see it. And at least one other person was dressed as the same character (in a different outfit).

Enough stalling. Picture time. First, an action figure of the character, and then the full getup, makeup, hair dye, and all. She looks amazing. Am I right?







No comments:

Post a Comment