Monday, September 28, 2015

Will This Be On the Test?

Inspirational song: Eminence Front (The Who)

We just spent two and a half hours talking about eminent domain, easements, and ownership. My brain is swimming. There isn't much that's fun about any of our topics for the evening. But there was an awful lot for discussion. This was the most action-packed class yet. Several times the conversation came back around to our property up the mountain, and its access problems. I wish I had heard any information tonight that could shore up our desire for a road that we could drive on all the way up to the claim. Unfortunately there was little comfort to be had. Instead, there was a cautionary tale of a couple who lost their mountain property to eminent domain, after they ran afoul of John Law by getting caught clearing trees off of an old 1880s road. The lesson we took away was summarized by our instructor. "You have a right to access your property. You do not necessarily have the right to drive a car to your property." Okay, then. Noted.

Our first midterm is next class, and suddenly I'm having test anxiety. Before class started, a couple weeks ago, I felt rather cocky. I knew I could learn the material, and I was even confident about my ability to pass the licensing exam on the first go-round. What I was worried about was getting hired somewhere, and the mechanics of getting those first one of two clients. I know I can do this job, but how do I market myself and convince someone to employ me to do it for them? Now that insecurity is bleeding over just a little bit into worry over the midterms. It's a short class, and there's a lot of material to cover in two quick months. I will study, and I will do fine, but I'm letting myself get nervous for now. It has to be better than being arrogant and making dumb mistakes.

I want to unwind and go to bed, and I also want to whip out the books and start studying now. I'm in two minds, and both of them are getting spun up about the "easiest midterm of the three." Crap. Where are my notes?



No comments:

Post a Comment