Friday, September 11, 2015

Back to School

Inspirational song: Release Me (Engelbert Humperdinck)

Is this the first time I've taken a class since I started writing in this space? It is, isn't it? It doesn't seem all that long ago to me since I was working on my masters, first in actual classrooms, and then online. It has been almost six years since I wrapped up my thesis, a little more than five since I walked across the stage. I still have a lot of that anxiety, of the feeling of needing to submit all my work online before the midnight central time deadline. It's this blog itself that holds the blame for that, I'm sure. I don't let myself skip nights and go to bed without writing, so in a sense I have taken that class anxiety and turned it into a chronic disease.

My real estate licensing classes start this upcoming Monday. Twice a week I meet in a classroom, and the rest of my studies will be online. I predict there will be several nights over the next two months when I am awake super late, because I won't even start the blog until after class work is submitted. I'm trying to read ahead in my schoolbooks, now that my house-settling goals have been met, but I can't read more than a half a chapter before I jump up and start wandering around the house. Once I nearly fell asleep over the texts, but every other time has just made me so antsy I can't sit still. I keep thinking of tasks I would rather accomplish, and several times I've run off to escape the boring textbooks. I went shopping for a gift for my sister in law this evening and managed to stay away three whole hours. I keep thinking I need to get a haircut, but so far I've held back on making an appointment for that, knowing that it is just another excuse not to read.

After a couple chapters of real estate basics, I am starting to wonder whether I might not be better suited for the commercial side of the business, rather than residential. Sure, I'm nosy and I like to peek inside other houses to see how other folks live (it is a compulsion). And yes, there is a booming residential market that could keep my family fed for years. But I do have a side of me that loves economic development. I get so excited when I see retail shops under construction or old businesses being renovated. I may change my mind tomorrow, but today, I really think that is the direction I should point myself from the very beginning. It feels right. My heart knows what it wants. I just need to let the rest of me follow it.


No comments:

Post a Comment