Thursday, May 25, 2017

Aw, Hail.

Inspirational song: Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll (Chuck Berry)

Most of us have known someone who could be described as "too stupid to come in out of the rain." How does one describe an individual who can be persuaded to come inside as fat raindrops start to fall, but keeps running back outside until the door is finally shut to him? I had to chase Murray in three times before I got him to stay, and that was only because I shut the garage door. I had intended on leaving it open, so that the fresh air from the thunderstorm would blow in and make the garage less stuffy while the dogs waited out the first of the two big cells that passed over us. I gave up on that when a certain paraplegic puppy insisted that he wanted to be out not in. I managed to capture him less than a minute before the rain turned into a long wave of pea-sized hail. I don't think he would have been as happy if he were still out at that point.

Hail came through twice today, although in the second storm, there were two or three rounds of it before the skies cleared slightly. After the pounding that parts of Denver got recently, I kept a very close eye on how intense the hail storms were. The hailstones never got larger than peas here, and the damage, if there was any, was imperceptible. I worried that I would get car damage, or perhaps I'd lose a tomato plant or two. I appear to have escaped unscathed.

I don't know whether it was the storms or the location, but our turnout at the monthly social for Rotary was very small. Fewer than ten people total showed, I think. Or maybe right at ten. It's a shame. The wine bar where we went laid out a cheese spread for us, and had happy hour specials the whole time we were there. It meant that the conversation was a bit more intimate, so I suppose there was a silver lining to be found.






No comments:

Post a Comment