Saturday, May 6, 2017

Running Ragged

Inspirational song: Dead Flowers (Rolling Stones)

It must have been a good day. I've been so exhausted ever since I got home that I can barely speak. If I'm out of things to say, it must have been a wild ride.

I picked up my #2 daughter at 7 this morning, and brought her home with me so that she could help me run the open house, as per the request of the seller (an extra set of eyes, so that his antiques didn't get molested -- considering how insanely beautiful his collection is, it was a fair request to make). I let her take it easy while I prepped, printing out MLS sheets, gathering my giant open house kit bag, and running a huge list of comps to study before I had to speak extemporaneously about everything for sale in the southern half of that county. I spent more time on mental preparations than I did on my hair and makeup, but I still put myself together as best as I could. And then it was time to rouse the daughter from her sleep (she works nights, so she needed it), and head out to the country. The whole way there, I chattered nervously, wondering and hoping that it wouldn't be a bust, and that people would show up. I had barely gotten back inside the house from setting up the brokerage's feather flag when the first car arrived. We were off to the races from there.

We had two short lulls, but other than that, we had people walking through for the entire two hours and then some. I would have considered more than 10 people a success. I saw more than 30. I am glad I prepared as well as I did. I was asked almost every question in the book. The only factoid I was ready with that wasn't discussed until later was the soon-to-be built PGA golf course going in near this neighborhood. (I learned that applications have been submitted for it to be built and for it to be officially on the PGA tour, but I don't remember whether the PGA said yes yet.) I had set out chilled bottles of water and a dish of mint chocolates underneath a bouquet of roses, and I got to explain to several people that this was my Kentucky Derby offering, since mint juleps were out of the question. It was well-received.

There was one couple who came through during one of the crowded phases with whom the magic happened. I got a chance to have a long conversation with them, and having my daughter to help steer and guide the other attendees allowed me to really bond with the couple. They stayed a long time, and by the time they left, they told my daughter to be sure I called them after, because they wanted to work with me. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear (especially since I had expressed to my daughter how much I liked them and wanted to see them again too.) We've already exchanged emails and phone calls and I am excited as I can be to look for the kind of place they're seeking. I feel like I'm getting a real knack for houses on acreage lots, after my Weld county folks viewed every place on the market for a year. This might be my niche.

Once we were done and all of the signs were collected, my daughter and I celebrated by going to a new fried chicken restaurant that I only today learned had gluten-free options (I'd been sighing longingly every time I drove past, thinking I could never eat there). We sat at the bar, facing a large TV with the Kentucky Derby on, and encouraged the bartender to make his first and second ever mint juleps. Cheers to us!












No comments:

Post a Comment