Thursday, May 18, 2017

Slushy

Inspirational song: Lusty Month of May (Camelot)

Yesterday I bought a hundred dollars worth of flowers and yard ornaments. Today we shook heavy wet snow off of all of our trees, most of which had branches touching the ground. I had purchased a rain gauge with a squirrel ornament on top. I placed it in the garden late in the afternoon yesterday. When last I looked at it during daylight hours today, it had almost three inches of liquid in it, and an inch tall snow cap on top of it.

We had to drive all the way down to Parker today, on roads that were slushy, through waves of giant, fluffy, wet flakes that reduced visibility. My windshield wipers kept icing over, and the windows themselves fogged up several times. There was so much moisture in this storm, the roads were treacherous. Deep puddles and icy ridges were enough to throw my little compact car around. By the time we got home we were both exhausted from fighting the weather, and I didn't even drive a single minute today. It was exhausting just to be a passenger.

We researched what the average precipitation totals were for the month of May around here, and it looks like we easily got a month's worth of rain in less than 24 hours. We tried to pay attention to ditches, canals, reservoirs, etc on the way home. By the time we got into our county, we saw that Boulder creek was full to its banks, and the St Vrain was running high as well. We came home to find our big trees drooping and our baby trees completely on the ground. From here I just hope it stays warm enough that I don't regret leaving my flowers on the porch.














No comments:

Post a Comment