Friday, May 12, 2017

Sunshine is the Best Disinfectant

Inspirational song: Rico Suave (Gerardo Mejia)

I don't know where the inspiration came from, but I hope it comes back again soon. For the first time in a few weeks, I felt like cleaning more than a half-sink of dishes. I threw open the windows in my room and let the sunshine in. (It's usually dark as a tomb.) I managed to keep going long enough to do all of my laundry, including the pile of hoodies and what-not piled up on my bookshelf. I shook out the impossible-to-vacuum flokati rug, and swept all around it. I dusted every surface that I could Pledge. I didn't stop once the bedroom was done. I think I was actually invigorated once it was clean, like I could breathe again after a long time in a stuffy, small closet. I cleaned my bathroom and the hallway with the cat-hair-magnet rug. I did most of the dishes and vacuumed the living room rug. And by the time I got all that done, it was time to feed the animals. That kind of interrupted my flow, which spelled the end of my run. I managed to apply a fresh coat of purple on the tips of my hair, before I sat in a chair for 45 minutes, barely able to blink. It was really fun while it lasted.

Today was the first time this season that I made a dish with the fresh herbs I planted in a container on the porch. I've snipped a few sage leaves off of the giant perennial bush in the back yard, but I've missed the spring/summer herbs that I grow every year. It feels like a milestone somehow. Or a page turning. I tried the summer savory herb for the first time, mixed in to the tomatoes and onions that I covered in herbs and vinegar. I couldn't pick out its individual flavor. I'll have to try it in isolation.

It's time for my favorite night time activity. It's TV on the radio time (also known as bedtime). And it's Friday night news dump time. What I've seen so far, it's another big news night. None of it ties into how things run on a moment-by-moment basis here at Smith Park West, but it still entertains me as the sun shines on each new detail. Keep airing it out, folks. It's spring cleaning time.


No comments:

Post a Comment