Saturday, November 18, 2017

Cats Pajamas

Inspirational song: Sharp Dressed Man (ZZ Top)

Has it been a whole year since Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them came out? I can’t remember, and I don’t think it’s crucial for me to verify. However long it has been, I have been wishing for a snazzy 1930s wardrobe. There was something so appealing about the costuming, and it made me want to start designing again. I had mostly quashed the urge, until a few weeks ago when I caught part of the same movie on HBO. Still, I resisted. Tonight, I may have just pushed myself over that cliff. We went to see the remake of Murder on the Orient Express. The only seats they offered us were in the second row (I suspect the theater wasn’t packed to the gills behind us, but that’s not worth arguing over). Being so ridiculously close to the screen, I could see individual seams in the costumes, subtle patterns in woven fabrics, and exquisite details like tatted lace cuffs. I nearly cried, it was so beautiful. I swore on the spot I was going to purchase the DVD, and study every coat and blouse. I am going to spiff up my style. It needs to wait until after the holidays, to be sure, but I need to adopt this vibe.

Of course, I have a competing motivation. While I’ve been at war with my health, and losing the battle with weight gain around the sore stuff in my midsection, I haven’t been interested in wearing structured clothing. I keep collecting more and more of the softest, stretchiest, baggiest clothes I can obtain. If it’s made of microfiber and guaranteed not to squeeze my belly tightly, I buy it (especially if it’s long enough to reach the tops of my legs). Clothes in the 1930s weren’t exactly known for microfiber softness. A lot of that stuff was downright scratchy. I need to find the middle ground, sharp and handsome classic lines but made of soft and yielding modern textiles. I can only hope that after the start of the new year, I have the time and energy to focus on designs and prototypes.


No comments:

Post a Comment