Tuesday, November 28, 2017

In My Head

Inspirational song: Boogie Wonderland (Earth, Wind, & Fire)

I don’t particularly like complaining about my health all the time, but it’s one of those days. I haven’t had an honest to goodness head cold in years, but here I am, sneezing and filling all the Kleenex I can get my hands on. I can say with absolute certainty that blowing one’s nose while there are still internal stitches waiting to be absorbed in a month old surgery site is not a whole lot of fun. I would take a Benadryl before bed, if I didn’t want to avoid the 10 hour sleep and 5 hour hangover tomorrow. Maybe I’ll just slather on some Vick’s Vapor Rub and find out whether it attracts or repels felines.

I went to the doctor today, but not to complain about the cold. She looked at the Kleenex I was holding as I stood up, and asked whether I had the sniffles, and that was the end of the discussion for both of us. I had more important things to go over with her. I ought to rifle through things I wrote months ago, to find out whether I documented when my shoulder first started hurting. For at least two or three months, leaning forward makes the muscle right behind my neck (without looking it up to be sure, I’m going to say deltoid?) feel like it is on fire. I didn’t want her to send me for more physical therapy without some sort of steroid treatment first to make the muscle heal a little. I dragged my feet about seeking help for weeks, because I was afraid of her answer. I finally couldn’t stand it anymore and said I dream about cortisone shots and some sort of brace to immobilize it. She asked why I’d rather have a shot over prednisone, and we negotiated down to a super short course of them, plus a physical therapy treatment I’d not been subject to before. She ordered PT with a topical steroid that is forced down into the muscles by way of electrical stimulation. If it works, I’m all over it. Let’s go. Just waiting for insurance to approve. Until then. I’m going to continue to spend most of my time leaning back and resting the deltoid.

Also, where’s that Vick’s?


No comments:

Post a Comment