Thursday, November 16, 2017

Yawn

Inspirational song: It's a Mistake (Men at Work)

I miss boring days. I miss being able to sit in my quiet, small world, not worrying about much of anything locally, nationally, or globally. Even on the days when I hide in my protected space, I can't leave well enough alone. I hit refresh on Twitter ever few minutes. I leave the news playing for hours. Boy, the mud is flying now. It has been for years, and it just never stops. Why do I watch? I think maybe I'll take up embroidery or something so I can hide. Unplugging from that feed would be a good opportunity to do that meditating my mother always insists I ought to try.

I spent way more time talking about migraines than I expected this evening. We had a Rotary social, and I made an offhand comment about getting treated for migraines with Botox. It kicked off more than half an hour talking about headaches and auras and what constituted migraines versus headaches and what treatments helped and didn't. One older gentleman said he had suffered through effects of migraine when he was in his teens, but never sought out medical advice for them, and eventually grew out of them. I got to bring up in conversation that since I changed my diet and went completely gluten free, I have been nearly free from headaches entirely. But while the headaches went from a couple a week to a few a year, the auras were getting worse. I am exactly four weeks into the Botox as of today. They promised me that right around six weeks would be the sweet spot, and all of those symptoms would be at their nadir of severity.

So while I wait for full efficacy, here I am, unable to stop yawning. Yeah, I'm tired. I'm not sleeping well, but that's not what this is. I'm also not bored. I didn't know this until recently, but yet another one of those aura symptoms is uncontrollable yawning. It isn't just one or two. It's over and over, big honking yawns that take over your whole head. So how does this fit into the big picture? I'm only two weeks away from when the Botox is supposed to be the best it will ever be. I'm trying to be good with the diet (but rice and corn have reentered my life), and I'm trying to fix enough other stuff to make the rest of me functional. In what order should all of this be addressed? Do I start by hiding from the depressing news of the world, so that I can unwind and rest? Or do I fix my diet and pills so that the headaches go away first? Or do I work on the migraines so I can roll with the punches better?

I know what I need. I need to snuggle with my kitten and stop thinking about all these headaches. Where's Harvey?



No comments:

Post a Comment