Saturday, November 11, 2017

Regular Programming

Inspirational song: Misty Mountain Hop (Led Zeppelin)

On the first day of the month, I started a NaNoWriMo story with absolutely no plan. It has made for some late nights, as I agonized over finding a few sentences to add to a story with no structure. I don't want to give up on it yet, but I really don't want to pull another late night this time. I'm just too tired for that. I spent about ten minutes in the hot tub earlier this evening, and ever since I've felt like I just attempted an Iron Man competition with zero training, especially the swimming part. I want to keel over and fall asleep right now.

We ran off to the mountains again today. The idea was to go up and check on the tepee and re-repair the parts of it where Mr Bear ripped his way in when he thought he would find more dog food. We left about the time the Veterans Day parades were happening (standing in the driveway just in time to see a jet flyover go zooming down Main Street). Traffic up was a nightmare, so we took the route through Idaho Springs, where there was a lovely new restaurant and brewhouse offering a free burger and beer for veterans. (So my salad and soda still cost money, but boy, was it worth it!)

According to the Mr, the "Oh My God Road" has been so thoroughly groomed it is now tame. It was still quite enough for me. If I've ever been on it before, it was decades ago. The initial ascent was pretty sporty for a girl who is afraid of heights, but the scenery along the way was worth the unusual route to our hill.

We tried to drive up to our usual parking spot, but the last several wind and snow storms have done quite a number on things. Most of the downed trees have been cut up and moved off of the "roads," but there were still two or three that needed addressing. The last one was large and took several minutes to clear. After it, we made it maybe a hundred yards farther up the road. The snow was too deep and the incline too steep. The truck slid around enough for us to accept we were not going to make it up to the campsite. Unfortunately, it also meant we weren't turning around. How lucky for me that I had MacGuyver behind the wheel. He backed the truck up all the way back to where we cut up the pine tree, and another equal distance beyond that, downhill, in icy snow, with clearance barely wider than the truck in several sections. He tried to tell me he wasn't having fun, but I don't believe him. He likes a driving challenge.

I will try to work on the story more as the month goes on. For now, I need to rest after an exciting day.






No comments:

Post a Comment