Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Stress Relief

Inspirational Song: Sympathy for the Devil (Rolling Stones)

I live a ludicrously open existence, hiding very little. After 1600-1700 attempts to find something new to write about, secrets are few and far between. But every so often, I try to hold back a detail here or there, or at least a degree to which situations exist. I made an attempt to downplay how freaked out I was that I was holding on to vacant rental property in Boulder for months, lowering the asking price three times with no takers. I’d been living in a peaceful stasis, having enough residual income to pay the bills regularly enough that I had time to get my sea legs in the real estate business. But suddenly I found myself without tenants, struggling to find a house that meets my current clients’ needs, and dwindling reserves to pay the electric bill. Fear was setting up shop in my head, showing every sign of becoming my constant companion. I was afraid to talk about economic anxiety too much, knowing that I could have it much worse. I knew going out and getting a different sort of job to cover shortfalls was ill-advised with my health issues. So I waited and checked my emails constantly, watching for leads to come in for the condo. This week, a trio of millennials came riding in like the cavalry. Not only did they like the condo (to the point of being drawn to the wild paint colors we left in the bedrooms), but they were eager to move in right away. We signed the agreement today, and turned over keys. For the first time since August, I can feel financially safe again. I have a bit of a deficit to refill, but at least it is no longer growing. It’s going to be okay.

I get to play the “I’m thankful for...” game tomorrow, and those new tenants are high on my list now. If I’m really lucky, the angry alien who lives in my belly, the one who hugs me too tightly all the time, will relax a little too. There will be a lot of serious eating to do tomorrow afternoon, and I’ll need the alien to ease up so I can get it all down. I’m planning on getting up at dawn to start the gluten free dinner rolls that I volunteered to provide, and for the first time in too long, I think I will sleep peacefully tonight. Can I get a hallelujah?


No comments:

Post a Comment