Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Curtains Drawn, TV On

Inspirational song: Promises in the Dark (Pat Benetar)

I lived up to my promises. I did exactly what I swore I would do today. After weeks of running around like crazy or doing too much at home when I said I'd slow down, I did absolutely nothing today. I stayed in bed as much as I could legitimately get away with, finally saw most of the first season of Game of Thrones (which I missed a few months ago when we first got HBO), and my big accomplishment of the day, my real hat trick, was showering, putting on clean PJs, and going next door (still in said jammies) to play with River for an hour. Ta-Da!

With the holiday lunacy, I missed refilling several of my pharmaceuticals, but I still have quantities of my vitamins and supplements. I'm a little behind on the things I'm supposed to be taking. I got what I could. I braved through my day spent in bed with no pain killers, no alcohol, nothing but rest to deal with the makings of a stress-induced flare. I won't know for a while whether this was a smart or stupid strategy. I cut myself off from the outside world as much as possible, other than a few flips through Twitter and the seven or eight hours of GoT. I made the mistake of looking at my email notifiers once today, without actually opening the emails themselves, and it instantly sent spiky tendrils of stress hormone lancing through my arms and legs. I stopped looking at the phone so much after that. Tomorrow is soon enough for letting myself reconnect. January is going to be busy, so I need to take care of myself now.

I am not sure how it's possible, but I'm actually wiped out. I feel like I dug trenches or helped someone move. I would have thought at the end of a day like this, I'd be getting wiggly and worrying about how I was going to fall asleep before dawn. Instead, I'm really glad that it's bedtime and the house is silent. It's about to be dark too. Lights out for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment