Monday, December 25, 2017

Gifted

Inspirational song: Christmas Day (Squeeze)

A long, wonderful, action-packed Christmas has come to a close, and I am stretched out on a couch, with a purring kitten on my lap. Problem is, this is neither my couch nor my kitten. I’m about twenty yards away from my own bed, and assumably 40-60% of my cats, but tiny, beautiful River Song was here by herself, in need of some Christmas snuggles. It took her more than 30 minutes of playing and recitations to settle down on my lap, and even then for the first 10 minutes of lap time she was wiggly  and bitey. I got so little sleep last night, and today was so full of activity, I am desperate to be in bed, doing absolutely nothing. Yet here I stay, reveling in the trust I have earned from this spunky calico, reluctant to leave her. It’s a cold night tonight, and my neighbor turned his thermostat down when he left. I feel compelled to share my warmth as long as she will tolerate me.

I never finished all of my handmade presents, but I got them close enough to give out. I need to do clean up on three of them, and one is going in the mail this week. I still can’t show pictures, but I’ll show the insignia I drew on stickers to put on each one. Full disclosure, I pulled up pictures on the internet to copy, but everything was drawn out freehand. So I can take partial credit for the art.

We had a lot of fun exchanging gifts. The traditional white elephant at the Smiths ramped up a notch this time. It might have had to do with the vague implied threats in the rules laid down by the site host about crappy gifts getting left behind. The gifts were actually things worth having, or at least I thought so. I ended up with a gift from the same nephew as last year, and while last year’s present was cute, this year’s was awesome! He had traded a banjo for a trumpet at some point, and he decided he didn’t need to keep it. Do I play trumpet? Not yet. But I will!

We waited until late tonight to do our regular gifts, and I couldn’t help but notice we were all on a similar wavelength this year. I had wanted to upgrade the Mr’s table saw to the kind that stops instantly if the blade touches flesh. Then I realized how ridiculously expensive those are, and how hard they are to find in town anyway. So I scaled it down and got him a small cordless circular saw he can take up to his mountain when he starts building the cabin/shed again. It was the last thing I had him open. A minute later, I was opening my last present from the kids. It was the compound miter saw I have been insisting I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeded for about twelve years now. I am so excited to build my next piece of furniture now. Wasn’t it just yesterday I was complaining out loud that I needed more bookshelf space?





No comments:

Post a Comment