Saturday, December 16, 2017

Spoiler Free Surprise

Inspirational song: It's a Small World (Richard and Robert Sherman)

Coincidences are funny things. When one happens, it's amusing. When two happen at the same time, it's freaky. When a cluster of coincidences that should be statistically impossible occur, it's downright hilarious.

We didn't make long-range plans to see this latest Star Wars movie on opening day. Once we had accomplished most of what we needed to by mid-day, the Mr threw out the suggestion that we should try to go. I insisted we buy tickets online before we leave the house. So I poked around on the app on my phone, checking all of the standard showings (we don't cotton to that 3-D nonsense; we are too old to enjoy it) for one where we didn't have to sit in the second row or closer. The 2:20 showing was out. The 3:10 didn't have anything acceptable. The 6:00 failed the test. But the 6:20 had several seats in row E, just behind the wheelchair accessible seats. I jumped on the purchase.

When we arrived at the theater, there was a soda and popcorn sitting unattended in the seat just past our two. There was a dad and his three year old next to where I was about to sit. We settled in, and I wondered to myself what the little girl would think of this movie. A couple of guys showed up to sit in the two end seats beyond the Mr. Then a woman came and sat down where the snacks had been left. I didn't really pay attention to any of the people around us after that point. Suddenly, the Mr swiveled his head to the woman on his left and said, "What are you doing here?" I leaned around, and discovered that the woman was an old friend of ours from the old days, from before the air force turned us into nomads, who I haven't seen in person in almost ten years. We laughed that we ended up here, sitting next to each other, and thought that was the end of it. But then statistical improbability kicked it up a notch. Our old friend leaned out a little farther and pointed just on the other side of the father and daughter. It was her best friend, who was also part of the circle of friends from the old days. I've been out for drinks with her a few times since we moved back, but she hasn't seen the Mr, as far as I know. So naturally it was he who walked over to stand directly in front of her. (The other woman and I suggested throwing popcorn at her. His was probably a more civilized way to capture her attention.) She had no idea who this guy was poking her in the forehead for a good ten seconds. And then we asked the little girl to swap seats with her, and thankfully she was cool with it.

As for the movie, I am not giving away a single spoiler. I don't do that. Best I will tell you is that sitting in a row with people I've known since my early 20s, already in a great mood from the surprise reunion, when the screen went dark, the gold letters flashed on the screen, and the fanfare blasted in the quiet theater, I got chills. I felt like we all did back in the 1970s, seeing Episode IV: A New Hope for the first time. Is it a perfect movie? No. Is any movie really perfect? I am not sure I have seen one that is yet. But I enjoyed the snot out of this one. I saw a lot that entertained me, and tons that will live on in lore and action figures for decades to come. There were a few things that weren't aimed at my demographic. Big deal. I had fun with the story, cheered in the right spots, and chuckled at most of the moments I was supposed to. If you haven't seen Episode VII, then wait to see this one until you're caught up. If you are one of the people who is always cranky at JJ Abrams movies, then make your own decisions on whether to watch and leave me out of it. I had fun, and I will not let anyone spoil my good mood.


No comments:

Post a Comment