Thursday, December 7, 2017

The Boartrix

Inspirational song: Camarillo Brillo (Frank Zappa)

Days spent team-building are days spent well. It reinforces the knowledge that I have placed myself in exactly the right groups, and all of my efforts to support and grow relationships within those groups are justified and worthwhile.

This morning was another sales meeting and volunteer project combination. These are my favorite kind of work meeting. I've bragged about this before, and I will brag about it again in the future. My brokerage is perfect because our focus is not on profits, it's on the people in our community. In October we dedicated our monthly meeting to collecting and sorting donations for Homeless Gear, in which we filled several crates with essentials for children: coats, warm clothing, and diapers. In conjunction with that same effort, we made blankets for children today. This is one of the easiest charity projects you can do. Buy a couple of yards of fleece (per blanket) from a fabric store, cut off the selvages, cut fringes down all sides, and tie knots in the fringes. Voila, blankets for needy children who need warmth and comfort. We made ten or twelve of them in an hour, all of us sitting around chatting and having fun. We have two new agents, one of whom just joined this week, and they got a chance to see first hand what we are all about. I hope this encourages them to stay with us for the long haul. I want to see our team grow and be strong.

Thursdays have become D&D night here. It's a lot like being in college again, especially since our old college roommate is one of the campaigners. We are starting to know our characters' personalities now, and we are building trust. We're also creating inside jokes at an alarming rate. This is entirely too much fun. Having the weekly gathering at my house is having two positive side effects for me, giving me motivation to overcome my physical challenges to clean the house a little more each week (and keep clean what progress I made up to that point), and providing the opportunity to feed people, which I love doing. I have reason to be creative, expressing my appreciation through nourishment. I'm not going to discourage other members of the group from contributing -- this is more of a loaves and fishes deal than an Anne-as-control-freak deal, however obviously I will allow neither a loaf of wheat bread nor a fish dish to come in my house. We've been told there's a friend of one of our group who has a 3D printer he is dying to test out, so I might actually have a figurine of my character to personalize. I hope I can make it look right, down to the pink pillbox hat. (This led to us having to dig through our memories for some old song lyrics: "She was breeding a dwarf, but she wasn't done yet.") This is making me feel young again, and I would not trade these nights for the world. Go team.



No comments:

Post a Comment