Saturday, May 5, 2018

A Good Day to Be in the Mountains

Inspirational song: Helplessly Hoping (Crosby, Stills, & Nash)

Who got to spend all day in the mountains, touring cool houses with incredible views, and picturing how they could look in the not-too-distant future? Anyone? I did. I took some folks I really like up for a preliminary scouting mission to some mountain properties. We ended up getting to see six homes over the course of the day, with a fair piece of driving between. It was an incredibly gorgeous day, even to someone like me who isn't a fan of unrelenting sunshine. It was just the right temperature, and the homes we toured were just deep enough in the pines that it was perfectly pleasant to be outside. It just doesn't get better than this.

It's far too soon for my companions to know when or even for certain that they are moving up here. Today was really just dipping a toe in the water. If I could wave a wand and get them to move here next week, I would do it. As it is, they have a lot of loose ends to tie up -- and several big life changes to line up -- before they can even consider making an offer on a house. That said, we saw an amazing property that they would offer on today if they were ready to jump. It was crazy cool. It was a moderately large log cabin, with a huge covered patio on one side, a deck (and patio below) overlooking the river It was a big lot, with access to another acre adjacent lot. There was a ton of flagstone inside and out, especially on the fireplace and stairs up in the great room. There were several flat places on this lot, unlike most of the others we saw, which were ideal for gardening.

Then once we were done with the inside of the home, we checked out the huge shed on the far side of the fence out back. I saw the wife of this family open huge doors, and I said "Ooh, that's an RV barn." It wasn't. It was above and beyond my wildest dreams for what I expected to find inside. This guy collected fallen trees, and had them planed into live-edge planks. They were beautiful. I need to keep an eye on this listing, and write an email to the listing agent. I saw what her homeowners were charging for this lumber. It is most likely that if I can come up with a good excuse for something to build with this lumber, I can reach them through their listing agent to purchase some of this lumber. It was truly wonderful.








No comments:

Post a Comment