Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Humblebrag

Inspirational song: Blow Away (George Harrison)

At various points in time, it is worth pausing to appreciate accomplishments and to celebrate as a group when that group has done something really special. Today our Rotary group did exactly that -- we are very proud of what we have done, and the leaders of our club decided to reward members and acknowledge a very special tally. In 99 years, our club has given a grand total of more than $700,000 to the Rotary International Foundation, the primary charitable giving arm of the worldwide club. This is not the portion of our dues that goes up the food chain, for regular club functions. This is all voluntary donation, above and beyond dues, for the purpose of good works. The money we give to the foundation goes there for three years, to be circulated and used for projects as well as to collect interest that further funds our activities. Then after three years, we can submit grant requests to bring it back to local needs, so these donations have twice the impact. Our club has existed for a very long time, but the town itself is not exactly a large metropolis. A high six figure tally is something to be proud of. These are generous people, and I count myself fortunate to be a member alongside them. So far, I've barely given 300 bucks (I think I've hit that mark -- I'd have to check). Some people in our club have given three, four, or even five thousand over their professional lives. How many polio vaccines does that work out to? How many water purification stations? How many children got school supplies or new tablets for that? How many books were donated? This is why I joined Rotary. I wasn't looking to schmooze and trade business cards. I wanted to be part of a group that did things that matter. These people change lives, on a global scale.

The social tonight was at the home of a realtor who is much more successful in that field than I. (She's also gorgeous and cool and has a neat family, but that's beside the point.) We've been to her place a few times for parties. The club provided barbecue and wine, and as usual when dinner and booze are free, turnout was pretty good. Everyone I talked to seemed to be in good spirits. Conversation was lively, and I had almost forgotten the point of the party until the foundation committee people got up and made an announcement that included the exact total of RI donations (I forget the specific number) and thanked everyone for their dedication. And then they started handing out pieces of cake. You know, I was okay skipping the bread that was there for BBQ sandwiches, and I looked suspiciously at the cream corn that I'm fairly certain had a bechemel sauce (so I didn't go near it), but when they brought out the white cake with raspberry filling, I nearly cried. It looked so good, even if it did have that intense blue icing that stains everyone's lips. I miss being a low-maintenance party guest.

XS and I didn't stay late at the party. It was game night, and I had to come home and host my own regular gathering. On the way there, XS said that the home where we were going was one of her possible host families, and I told her that the house was incredibly lovely, and the family is awesome, so she could see what she missed out on when she came to live with me instead. And I told her that I'm glad I ended up with her. I'm not as professionally successful as the other realtor, but I'm laid back and I think I'm pretty damned good at raising daughters, if I say so myself. I think XS fits in well with me, and she said she liked living with me too. We get each other. Still, as we walked around the house that reminded me of my friends' homes in Charleston, she pointed out things she liked and things she didn't. I have deck envy over this house, and I have for two years, and I still want to copy her and dig a deep koi pond in my yard. I don't think I could put in a chandelier like the one she has, but that doesn't stop me from longing for one just like hers. The houses in her trendy neighborhood are close together, with really small yards, but I think it just makes the area seem more like the military bases I lived on than anything, and I mean that in a good way (as in close-knit, family-friendly). All the same, I'm happy where I am, and I am still not looking to move again, ever. We had fun seeing how the other half lives.




No comments:

Post a Comment