Sunday, May 27, 2018

We Accept Her, We Accept Her

Inspirational song: Sisters Are Doin It for Themselves (Eurythmics)

I feel like I keep returning to a theme here, but today I received abundant reassurance that I made the right call three months ago when I offered up my family to host the rotary exchange student for the final third of her term here. I promised the people in charge of deciding where she goes that I had raised daughters and thus had peers to offer her. I had no way of knowing whether they would truly bond with each other, but I really hoped they would. My two girls who live locally have come through even better than I guessed they could. They randomly show up to the house, and announce that they are taking XS for the afternoon, bye mom, we'll have her back by bedtime.

This happened again today. With it being Memorial Day Weekend, there was another iteration of Creek Fest down in Boulder. My daughter looooooves Creek Fest. I could have gone with them, if I was into the idea of wandering around in huge crowds in the sun. I passed, figuring the girls were just fine without me. (Much as I love roller coasters and folk art and whatnot, I'm broke, can't eat funnel cake, and my feet hurt enough without walking -- they were better off without me as an anchor.) I made the right call. Foster daughter took pictures and video while younger daughter and XS played in Boulder Creek. It was all I wanted for this new addition to the family: total acceptance.

That's really all I have tonight. I should have turned in earlier than now. Tomorrow is the Bolder Boulder, and XS and Mr S-P are running/walking it. She says she wants to walk, and his lingering deep chest cought may force him to do the same. My job is to wait at the finish line with a camera, once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment