Tuesday, May 8, 2018

On Fire Today

Inspirational song: Light Up (Styx)

Oh, hurry, hurry! Get words on a page while I can still keep my eyes open. It has been a challenge to do so ever since I came down off my adrenaline high around lunchtime. I’m sleepy and my stomach is a horrible mess of ice cold cramps thanks to mislabeled veggies at Rotary (hint: soy sauce is not gluten free), but that doesn’t stop me from feeling so satisfied over a job well done, completed this morning. I noted that it was a full year ago when my old friend and I toured the first property together, and I was warned that it might take a while before she was ready to purchase. But a couple of months ago, she said she had gotten approval for a loan, and she was set. Now we had to find an appropriate property in a very limited geographical boundary that fit her budget. Oh, and did I mention that the area included Boulder, which is unreasonably expensive, but her budget was more like average prices in the rest of the state? I was sure she must have been smoking something to imagine she could find this magical unicorn of a property, but lo and behold, she found a place that fit the bill exactly. We wrote a perfect offer, beat out more than half a dozen other buyers, and sailed through the purchase process. Both the lender and I were freaked out by how smoothly it all went. Inspection was easy, and appraisal happened the very same day (highly unusual). Title work was fine, HOA docs were normal, and the loan proceeded to closing with almost zero effort on our part. I had a few emails with the listing agent, and nothing harder than that. I told my buyer-friend this morning that I keep patting my pockets and checking my phone, thinking I must be missing something big. But no, so far it all really was that easy.

Ever since I came down off the high from having a closing, I have been barely able to focus on a single stinking thing. I napped, I watched the news, and I whined about my food mishap from Rotary. I have to hope tomorrow is more productive at my own home, for my outstanding to-do items. I’ve achieved several of the biggest, most stressful quests on my itinerary. There’s maybe two or three big ones left, and then my time is my own again.

I’m missing South Carolina significantly tonight. An old friend from our very first assignment in North Carolina is now living at the same base as our last one, although she arrived in Charleston after I left it (dammit). She posted an article about a particularly intense swarm of fireflies that appear every year in an old growth forest in the state. I never saw it while I was there, but at least I saw some fireflies there every summer (and I don’t just mean the distillery where we went for flavored booze all the time). I’d love to return during the firefly bloom (or technically their mating season, to be precise). I can’t say that I have ever seen a single lightning bug in Colorado in all the decades since I first came here. I don’t think their range covers this far west or tolerates weather this dry or whatever. I miss them. And I’m worried that we have destroyed so much of their habitat that they won’t be around in significant numbers for the rest of my lifetime. Yesterday I was musing about nostalgia. I think there's very little that makes me more nostalgic for my childhood than seeing a few lightning bugs on a warm, humid summer night.


No comments:

Post a Comment