Thursday, May 3, 2018

Child of War

Inspirational song: Give a Little Bit (Supertramp)

There is no happy medium. Months ago, my character was focused, driven to complete the task we were given, to go find a mystic siren and ask her questions before the new moon. I tried and tried to steer toward achieving that goal, and there was always something thrown in our faces. The game master diverted us over and over. Tonight was the backside of that quest. We were returning with the answers, and with two particular collections of “trophies” from the roving bands of orcs we dispatched. We were offering information and collecting rewards. It was time to unwind after stressful situations, so that is exactly what I did. My character is a forest gnome. She is three foot four, and she weighs thirty-six pounds. After two stops and a couple opportunities to wave severed monster parts at squeamish party members and non-player characters (because she has no gag reflex and a sick sense of humor), she gave up and went to a pub and asked for some of the local cider (that comes from the apple orchard of a recurring NPC who may or may not be trustworthy). Three or four ounces into it, and little Gunda was druuuuuuuunk. So I played her that way. I was loud, unfocused, and obnoxious. I had a great time, and she did exactly what someone would who had just completed a 2 month-long quest that involved significant danger to her life and that of her friends. She blew off steam.

So when we came home, I said to Mr Game Master, “It might be unwieldy, but playing drunk Gunda was fun.” He just scowled at me and said something like, “You guys get off track so much.” And then he stomped off to bed. That really deflated my good mood. I can’t win. Either I’m frustrated by trying to get onto what we are trying to find while he’s throwing in detours, or I’m wasting his time by correctly role-playing my character.

I don’t know where to go with it. I’ve established that she’s a hothead and super impulsive. I’ve also demonstrated that she has a soft spot for animals (especially her mean Shetland pony), mothers and children, and a certain shape-shifting elf who has saved her life more than once (and she would defend him at the expense of her own life at this point). She’s going to keep being mouthy, even when (not if) it gets her in trouble. She is the one who told me how to play her. So no matter how much it irritates the game master, Gunda is going to live up to her lofty name, and be the fierce warrior she swears that she is. I expect her mouth to get us both in trouble every week. She hasn’t let us down yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment