Monday, May 21, 2018

Ready for Summer

Inspirational song: Entangled (Genesis)

Part of my family has gone on an excursion. The Mr and Murray and Elsa went on a drive, with a couple of overnights out of town. Things are a little quieter around here for now. That is, it's quiet except for a passel of cats who still like to tear things up to make sure they never get bored, and for the teenager who is three days away from ending her school term abroad. She gets to stay in town for several weeks yet, but it will be much better when her time is 100% her own. She'll get to sleep in as often as she likes, and we'll be able to take off and do things during the week to expand her American experience. We are hoping that before she leaves we can make it to the Great Sand Dunes national monument, but that's still up in the air. She also needs to go up to our mountain property, which she has not done yet. I think she'll really enjoy that.

I may have mentioned before how ironic it is that after years of being horrified when my younger daughter cut her own hair at inopportune times, like four weeks before her kindergarten photos when she "got tired of waiting for you to cut my bangs, mommy, so I cut them off," that now we go to her for haircuts. I can't begin to count how many times I looked at that kid and had to ask when and why she chopped off chunks of her hair. Yet here I was today, for the third or fourth time in the last year or so, asking her when she was coming over to trim my hair. It had gotten super long, such that it was constantly getting tangled up in my purse straps, or trapped under my arms when I tried to roll over in bed at night. It was too heavy, and when I put it up in a messy bun (most days), it was so heavy that it pulled on my scalp and gave me headaches. Also, the mermaid hair colors were fun, but after five months, the green absolutely refused to fade, even when I covered it with more purple, and I was ready to be done with it. I asked my kid to cut about two and a half inches, to get most of the color off, and make it a little lighter. I wore a horizontal striped shirt so that she had a gauge to keep it level. And then I just sat there and let her do what she wanted to do. I told her it felt like she was cutting it above my shoulders every time the razor scraped across the strands. She assured me she wasn't. Then she said, okay, feel that and tell me what you think. Funny, 2.5 inches turned into about 6.5 when I wasn't looking. I'm not saying the haircut looks bad, but it sure was a shock to find my hair is less than a hand-width below my shoulders. (If my friend from high school ever reads this, the friend who let me and another girl cut all of her hair off when we were trying to make it look like a picture in Seventeen magazine, I suspect she will feel some sense of revenge...) I'm not upset about my hair. I'm just surprised. And the way I look at it, it's the right length for summer. It's lighter and curlier now. Besides, it's hair. It will grow back. I just need to get used to having it so short again.






No comments:

Post a Comment