Thursday, August 23, 2018

Air Tight

Inspirational song: I Threw a Brick Through a Window (U2)

I don't remember why I decided not to go to the mountain for this build cycle. There was probably a reason. Now that it is way too late, I wonder whether I missed an engagement I had promised to attend this evening. It didn't make it into my calendar, so it didn't make it into my life. As it is, here I am, in the flatlands, while the man and the dogs are up at altitude. It's probably just as well. I was achy and stiff today, and wouldn't have wanted to do much construction.

He sent me a few photos of the evening's progress, which is good, since I did so little photography on my own today. The first one showed the great accomplishment of the day--now all the downstairs windows are roughed in. I carried up two and a half of them last week. (Halfway up with the third one, he Tom Sawyered me into thinking that carrying the extension ladder instead would be easier, and we traded. It wasn't easier. There were stabilizer bars on the end that caught on Every. Single. Tree. Branch. On. The. Mountain. I was duped.) He took up the fourth window, and put the two sliders on the front of the cabin, the side that faces the incredible view of Mount Evans. He also sent one looking in through the front that had the weirdest optical illusion. I'll let you study it and be as baffled as I was, until you realize what exactly you're looking at. He said that it was amazing the difference it makes, cutting off the wind that blew freely through the space before. I'll bet it's a lot warmer tonight, especially with a couple of dog bodies heating it up.

I found another way that I'm unreasonably hyper-vigilant about my food. I was standing in the checkout at the natural grocers, when the guy behind me tossed a box of shredded wheat on the belt, touching the stack of gluten-free goodies I had gone for. My first thought was "Eek! It's touching my food!" The box. The cardboard boxes were touching. I miss the days when food was easy. This is turning me into a freak.






No comments:

Post a Comment