Thursday, August 2, 2018

Mau

Inspirational song: Junk Food Junkie (Larry Groce)

Ugh. I tried. I had been doing reasonably well eating real, clean food. But last night was game night, so of course I had a soda and a few handfuls of gummy candies. I told myself I'd start over with real food today, or I would after I got a vanilla latte on the way to my sales meeting. And then I said I'd be good all the way to the Whole Foods salad bar before I could leave town after the meeting, up until the point I asked for the two macarons to eat after my weird shepherds pie thing from the hot bar. I pretended the spoonful of superfood salad I got at the same time was helpful overall, and it almost worked. But then evening arrived, and I was on my own with no one to answer to for my dinner choices. So, as the responsible adult that I know I am, I had popcorn and a Coke float for dinner. Yeah. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Did you know some cats think Coke floats are interesting? Alfred thought so. It's not bad enough that I said F it and had only crap food for dinner. I shared it too. I'm a bad mom.

My daughter who rescued Harvey, by way of rescuing his mama when she was pregnant in a California heat wave, shared a theory with me. She and her friend, who adopted Harvey's tortie sister and one of his ginger brothers, did some research and decided someone in their ancestry might have been an Egyptian Mau cat. Looking at the sample photos, I think they might be onto something. There was a picture of a gray tabby coated Mau who had an eager, open expression that looked exactly like Harvey's "I see you are drinking coffee; I too enjoy drinking half and half" face. The ears were the same, the eye shape and spacing, and the little round cheeks were the same too. Apparently Ziggy and mama Billie look just like this too. I tried to chase the boy around to get pictures that showed the faintest hints of spots in his pale blush stripes, like Maus have. I failed that, but did show the same "M" stripes over his eyes. Other pictures show that for all the progress I think we are making, Athena still likes to ambush the kid and scare him into submission. When the description of Maus say they are "shy," does that mean "afraid of crazy murder floof?"







No comments:

Post a Comment