Thursday, August 16, 2018

Closed In

Inspirational song: Think (Aretha Franklin)

Gotta make this fast. I had even less sleep than usual last night, and a huge, physically taxing day. I did touch-and-goes the whole ride home from the mountain tonight, and every time the Mr would speak or adjust something inside the car, I woke with a jerk, startled and slightly panicked. Now that I'm home and am in jammies, I won't be awake long.

I haven't gotten up to the build site in almost two weeks. I had stuff going on and let the guys go up without me. Today was the first of three days in a row we are intending to work on the cabin, and if it goes as planned, the basic structure should be in place by the end of the day Saturday.

The line that stood out for me today, while I was just standing back, admiring the progress as more rows of sheathing went up, and a small window was temporarily set in place, was from Mr S-P: "It's finally starting to look more like a cabin and less like a picnic pavilion." It's an amazing space, as the walls go up. The sound is changing. Less wind gets in, which was nice when the rain storm blew over us. I can't wait to see where we end up when this three-day blitz is over.

All of the rafters are up on the build site now. We started piecing together the beams that will form the peak of the roof just before we called it for the day. I spent hours picking staples out of the reclaimed wood that formed the rafters, and it actually wore me out. I don't know who built something out of this lumber before we got it, but I'm fairly sure he thought he was paid by the staple. There were hundreds of them.

And finally, as you will recall it's mid-August, which means that in the highest altitudes, if you pay attention, you can see the first few aspen branches popping out in golden beauty. There aren't a lot of yellow leaves yet, but it's coming. The best time of year.








No comments:

Post a Comment