Saturday, March 9, 2019

Credentialed

Inspirational song: Tangled Up in Blue (Bob Dylan)

To get to the ultimate goal, that of making it all the way to a national nominating convention once in my lifetime, I have to work my way up the ranks. One doesn't just waltz up to the front of the delegate line. They have to know who you are before they'll let you go to the big dance. At least, that's how I assume it works. I didn't really do a whole lot of research on this topic. I did volunteer to be a delegate to the state reorg in Denver this weekend, and for the one in the ginormous congressional district that takes up the eastern third of the state.

I ended up getting knocked down a peg to alternate rather than delegate, but I wasn't upset. They read the instructions wrong at the county meeting, and rather than selecting four delegates and four alternates for a total of eight, they chose eight of each. I volunteered for the demotion. The two people who carpooled with me in my car met the same fate.

We left town at 7:30 this morning, to be checked in early enough to get seated if not everyone showed up. There were lots of delegates who didn't make it, but not all of us were able to be seated. Something about them being elected officials who failed to turn in proxies. The room was loud and I didn't ask the woman to repeat the explanation. So my happy little trio went off to brunch to wait until the afternoon session for our opportunity to be seated in the CD meeting.

Not even waiting half an hour for the kitchen to remake my omelette (I specifically asked them to omit mushrooms and add green peppers, and on the second try, at least they got the mushrooms out; I never saw a pepper once) took up enough time. The state meeting got out early, and we sat in the back listening to the first woman secretary of state in Colorado, and the first openly gay governor elected anywhere in the country give short, rousing speeches. Then we had two hours to wait for the next appointment. Two of us zipped down to the parking garage and napped in the car where it was mostly quiet, but distinctly chilly. The third member of our carpool hung out in the hotel bar. I think we each made the right choices for our needs.

We were all seated in the congressional district meeting. I think our only purpose was to create a quorum. It didn't feel like a whole lot of difficult decisions had to be made. Every officer was elected by unanimous consent. There was only one topic brought up for debate, and it lasted for about three sentences, and then was also unanimously accepted. The best I can say is that we got our faces out there, so that as things progress, we can lobby for moving forward as delegates in the future, because enough people will recognize us and maybe support us when we volunteer.

There was a fancy fundraiser dinner there tonight. We didn't stay for it. I didn't even know about it until I was going over the email for directions this morning (I skipped over it on the first read a week ago). There was to be a silent auction, and big name speakers who I would have loved to have seen. But whenever I have to leave the house early I can never sleep the night before, and last night was no exception. I have been awake since 4:15, and so getting home and changing from jeans to jammies was way more important than paying money I don't have to see one of my favorite committee chairmen speak. If I make it to a national convention, then I'll try to rub elbows with him there. Tonight, I am a delegate for falling asleep in front of SNL, and not much else.



I didn't buy a t-shirt. Would be cool on a sticker, though.



SoS Griswald, as seen from waaaaaaay back in the ballroom.


Gov Polis, zoomed in a little tighter. We were still sitting at the very back table.


A silent auction in Colorado. Of course it's mostly beer. I would have bid on that Stranahan's, though, if we had stayed long enough for it to be set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment