Friday, March 8, 2019

Duck Duck Goose

Inspirational song: I'm Just a Girl (No Doubt)

There's a new baby in the house. No, not another cat. Nor a puppy. Nor another lizard. Nor a bird, rat, fish, um... rabbit, donkey, raccoon... No vertebrates were added to our family. My new baby is an aloe plant that my friend created for me. She also previously gave me a wandering jew that I was going to plant in the orange pot that I'd had next to the glass blocks in my room, but I discovered that the sickly jade plant in there was still clinging to life. So my friend brought me a small terra cotta pot too, so that the wandering jew can have a better home than the tiny water vase where it has resided for weeks. I'm so happy to have both of these babies. I hope they thrive here.

I got the plant when my friend came to pick me up to take me to see the new Captain Marvel movie. I am hopelessly illiterate to all of the storylines in the Marvel universe. I don't read the comics, and I've missed whole series of movies. People frequently refer to one character or plot point, and how it relates to three or four other movies, and I almost never grasp all the details. But this means that when I go to see some of the movies, I have zero expectations, and I can enjoy them as total stand-alone experiences, without worrying where they fit on the story arcs, or whether every line spoken is properly fitted into canon.

I had a blast at the movie. It takes a lot for me to hate them when I go, and I get mad when cranky-pants friends or acquaintances try to tear down the movies I found to be pleasant escapes. I know internet trolls have tried to do the same for this Captain Marvel flick, from a place that sounds like misogyny because the hero is a woman. I ignore the haters. I like stories that feature strong female characters, especially the central lead, and this had several of them. I won't give any spoilers. I don't do that. I get super angry when people do that to me. So I leave it up to you to go or not, without any specific urging from me. All I will say is that I liked it; at times I liked it a lot. Your mileage may vary.



No comments:

Post a Comment