Sunday, September 1, 2019

Compulsion

Inspirational song: Bitchin' in the Kitchen (Shock Treatment)

Are we the only ones feeling intense pressure to take on giant tasks right now? It feels like we've been bitten by an industriousness bug. I've got to race through my table project, the Mr is trying to stay ahead of the weather to get as much work on the cabin as possible before the season ends in maybe six weeks, and T just jumped into the deep end of home renovation. We are all trying to help each other out (except I can't get up to the cabin yet), which makes me feel like we are in a whirlwind of construction, carpentry, and demolition. We are all working ourselves into fatigue and soreness, but not one of us wants to stop. It's too much fun, even as it's physical and hard.

This morning I went over next door just to ask a question, and ended up picking up a hammer and pry bar, and popping loose some of the black tiles that had been the old counter top. It was just too compelling. I had to do it. (Side note: when we were house hunting four years ago, we toured T's house, and when I came out of it, I saw the "coming soon" sign here, and knew that this was my house. At least 60% of the reason I knew his place wasn't for me was that icky counter top of 4x4 glossy black bathroom tiles. I had said that if we bought it, the first thing I'd do would be to rip out the tiles. T has said multiple times how glad he was that I hated that kitchen, so he could get the house.) Over the next month, he's going to have new, white cabinets, a neutral quartz counter top, luxury vinyl plank floors, and all new appliances. According to him, this year's Thanksgiving will come from his fancy new kitchen. I can support that plan.

All of this construction would be so much easier if the summer would finally loosen its grip on us. It's supposed to be a hundred degrees tomorrow. What were we thinking, deciding this had to be done right now? You can't do this sort of stuff with doors closed and air conditioners running. It's hot work. Even I have to be out in the sun, as unpleasant as that is to me. I had to take time to remind myself today that technically there is still one week left in this chemo cycle. I need to forgive myself for running out of gas in the heat and sun. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop playing with tools any time soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment