Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Moving Fast Now

Inspirational song: The Tide Is High (Blondie)

Where does one start on a day like this? Maybe with saying I knew this would be a pivotal week, but I didn’t expect things to move so quickly. I’m going to take my usual stand, which is to say I won’t tell anyone how to think about what’s happening at a national level, but I think it’s undeniable that significant actions are afoot. It has been a bit emotionally exhausting to keep hearing the breaking news musical tags. I haven’t decided whether to try to sleep with the TV on. I probably shouldn’t. I have medical tests tomorrow, and I need to be awake enough to drive down to a hospital I’ve never visited before in Louisville. The news will still be there in the morning (and afternoon and evening...)

I’ve spent years following the news like I was planning on getting a PhD in this era of world history. I’ve tried to view it dispassionately and gather only facts, but I just can’t. I’m angry and tired and ready to live in a world where I can care about fashion or comedy or some other pop culture phenomena again. I used to watch The Voice, you know? I don’t even remember what that was like now. I was actually glad for a summer where I was forced to step away and focus on cancer treatment, because it was something other than political news. I had better have the freedom to absorb myself in painting or gardening or something much healthier for me by the middle of next year. I need it.

As for this week, I’m just glad I restocked on popcorn last time I was at Costco. I want to be happy that I bought a screw top bottle of wine, so I can go through it slowly, but I regret shopping off the “2 for 15” wall at the liquor superstore on Sunday. I’ll either need to buy better wine to drink alone in front of the TV, or drink faster. Maybe both. This week seems to call for both.




No comments:

Post a Comment